Hotmail is a free emailing service powered by Microsoft. Formerly popular as MSN, Hotmail is now recognized as Outlook and offers a wide range of messaging and file management services.
Steps to sign up for a Hotmail account
If you do not have a Hotmail Account or if you have lost your old account, you can always create a new one by following a few simple steps. Follow the instructions to sign up for a new Hotmail Account:
- Open any web browser from your desktop or smart phone.
- Open the page Hotmail.com or outlook.com.
- You will find the option “Create a free account” on this page. Select this option.
- This will open a window for entering your new email address. Enter an email address and select the domain @hotmail.com to replace the default name ‘@outlook.com’.
- In the next step, provide a password for your account. You can activate the option of receiving promotional emails from Microsoft if you wish to stay updated regarding latest services and features. Click on the button “Next” once you are done.
- In the next step, you have to enter your first name, last name, country, and date of birth.
- You will be asked to submit your phone number as a security measure. On entering your phone number, you will receive a verification code as SMS. You have to enter this code to proceed.
- Sometimes instead of phone verification, you will be getting a captcha verification window. However, you can add your phone number anytime after signing into your account. Having a backup phone number is the best way to protect your email account.
- This verification process completes the Sign up procedure. You will get a welcome message from outlook. Follow the instructions on the screen to access your new account.
How to log into your Hotmail account?
- Open your web browser and enter “Hotmail.com” in the address bar. This would open your Login page.
- Click on the option “Sign In”.
- Enter your email address and click on the option “Next”.
- Enter your password. Enable the option “Keep me signed in” if you want the browser to automatically log in every time you open Hotmail.com.
- Click on the option “Sign In”. This will open your Hotmail account.
How to update security info for your Hotmail account?
If you want to add any security information or make changes to the ones you have already submitted, then you can update it by following the given steps:
- Log into your Hotmail account.
- Click on the profile icon on the top right corner of the screen.
- This will open the “My Account” panel. Find and select the option “View Account”.
- The page that opens provides you with multiple options. Scroll down and find the section “Security”.
- Under Security, you have an option “Update”. Click on it and you will get a new window with three options. First one is to change the password. The second option is to update your security info. Below that, you have a button “update info” click on it.
- This would open a window that asks you to sign into your account. Since you are accessing sensitive information, you need to login again by providing your email address and password.
- After logging in successfully, you will get options to edit your current security info and also to add more security info. Chose accordingly and follow the instructions.
How to change your name in Hotmail account?
Hotmail provides you the option to enter your first name and last name while creating the account. The name you enter is important because it would appear on all the emails you send. The person receiving the email can view this name in his inbox along with the subject line of the message. Fortunately, you can edit your name anytime you feel like. Mentioned below are the steps to change your first name and/or the last name for your Hotmail account:
- Sing into your Hotmail account.
- Once you open your account, locate the small profile picture on the top right corner of the screen. If you haven’t added any profile picture, it would appear as a small round icon with the initials of the first name and last name you have provided while creating the account. Click on it to open the “My Account” section.
- In the “My Account”, you have an option “Edit Profile”. Click and open it.
- The page that opens displays your current name in large fonts. Below that, you can find an option “Edit name” Click on this and you will get 2 text boxes to update your first name and last name. You can make changes to your first name and/or the last name.
- Next, you will be asked to enter a text captcha. You can choose the option of audio captcha if you find the text captcha difficult. Enter the captcha and click on “Save” button to save the changes you have made.
How to change the password for your Hotmail account?
Changing the password every few months is a great way to keep your account safe from hackers. If you happen to access your account from shared computers, then it is highly recommended that you change the password periodically. Explained below are the steps to get this done:
- Log into your Hotmail account using your current password.
- Click on the profile picture on the top right corner of your screen.
- Under the “My Account” choose the option “View Account”.
- In this screen, you have several options. Navigate to the “Security” section and click on the option “update”.
- This would open a new page with options to access and change your basic security features. Among the 3 options displayed, the first one is “Change your Password”. Below that, you will be having the option of “Change password”. Click on it to proceed further.
- Now you will get a window for entering your current password. This is a verification step. After entering your password, click on “Sign in”.
- Now you will get the option to enter a new password. Follow the instructions and provide a new password.
Whenever you are changing the password, you will have to activate the option “Keep me signed in” (if you want to remain signed in) so that your browser can update the info and allow you to access your email account directly.
How to change the theme for your Hotmail account?
If you want a fresh look for your Hotmail Account, the easiest option is to adopt an attractive theme. Here is how you can do this:
- Open your Hotmail Account by logging in.
- Click on the settings icon on the top right corner of the screen. This would open the Quick Settings.
- Under Quick Settings, you can find the option “Theme”. Click on any theme and check how the background of your account changes. You can try different themes to find the best one that meets your needs.
- Below the default themes, you have a small option “View All”. Click on it to open all the themes in Outlook. The bigger list gives you more options to choose from.
- After choosing the theme, close the Quick Settings window by clicking on the cross symbol in the top right corner of the panel.
- Note that you can remove the theme anytime by opening the Quick Settings and choosing the theme “Office” from the default themes displayed.
How to sign out of your Hotmail account?
If you have activated the option of “keep me signed in” you need to sign out from your account in order to make it inaccessible for others. Even if you have not enabled this option, it is important to log out from your account if you are using a public computer. Follow the below-mentioned steps to get this done.
- Locate your Profile picture from the top right corner of your Hotmail account.
- Click on this icon to open the “My Account” window.
- From the options listed in the “My Account” panel, click on the option “Sign Out”.
- If you are unable to sign out, restart your browser and try again.
- If still, you are unable to sign out, delete the cookies and try signing out again.