A hotmail account allows you to check emails, upload files, send emails, and sign into other Microsoft apps.
How to open your Hotmail account?
If you have a Hotmail account, you can open it by following a few simple steps that are described below:
- Open any web browser like Chrome or Firefox from your computer or smart phone.
- Enter the web address “hotmail.com” in the address bar.
- Once the page opens, you will see the option “Sign in” at the center of the page. Click on it to proceed.
- Now you will get a window to enter your email address. Type in the entire email address.
- Click on the option “Next” and you will get a window for entering your password.
- Make sure that the Caps Lock key is turned off. Now enter your password and click on the option “Sign In”. This will open your Hotmail account.
How to open a new Hotmail account?
Many users maintain an extra Hotmail Account to separately manage their professional and personal emails. Follow the steps given below to open a new Hotmail Account.
- Open your web browser and enter Outlook.com in the address bar.
- The page that opens provides you the option “Create a free account”. Click on this option.
- Now enter your new email address in the blank field. If the email address already exists, try a different one until you come up with an acceptable email address.
- Choose the option @hotmail.com from the dropdown list on the right side of the email address field. You can also keep it @outlook.com. Click on the button “Next”.
- Now enter your password for your email account. Create a strong password by using a combination of numbers, alphabets, and special characters. Make sure the Caps Lock button is disabled.
- Next, you can enable the checkbox for getting promotional emails from Microsoft. If you do not wish to get any emails, leave this box unchecked. Click on the button “Next” to proceed. At this stage, some browsers may provide the option to save the login details so that you can access your account without signing in every time. You can skip this option for the time being and later on activate the “keep me signed in” option from Hotmail’s login window.
- Now enter your first name and last name. Click on “Next” and you will get the window to choose your country. Further, you have to enter your date of birth in the given fields.
- In the next stage, you will get a text captcha. Enter the captcha to complete the verification process. You also have an option to select Audio captcha instead of text captcha.
- In certain cases, you might be asked to enter a phone number as a security information. If you get this option, you will have to enter a valid mobile number. You will get a verification code which you have to provide to complete the validation process.
- This completes the process of opening a new account. You will get a welcome window, followed by an option to choose a suitable background theme for your account.
- Next, you have the option to create a customized signature. You can skip this step and enter your new Hotmail account.
How to organize your emails in Hotmail account?
Hotmail provides many interesting features to organize your emails into different groups. This allows the users to handle their emails effectively. Read on to learn about the most-used features in this context:
- Hotmail has introduced a new feature to differentiate your normal emails from the important ones. Now you can organize the inbox into two sections – Focused and Other. There is a toggle button that allows you to switch between these two sections. The Focused inbox contains all the emails that need an immediate response. Rest all can be saved in the “Other” inbox. Whenever you get a new email, it will be in the Focused section. To transfer it to “Other” you have to right click on the email and choose the option Move> Move to another inbox.
- You can also instruct Hotmail to move all the emails from a certain sender automatically to the “other” Inbox. You can do this by right clicking on the email and choosing the option Move>Always move to Other Inbox. This will automatically redirect all the emails from the particular sender to the Other Inbox.
- You can also move emails to the Archive folder by right clicking on the email and choosing the option Move>Archive. Note that you can transfer it back to inbox by visiting the Archive and moving the email back to Inbox using the same steps.
- If you want any particular email to remain at the top of your inbox, you can do this by clicking on the small pin sign displayed on the top right corner of the email. Once you enable this option, the email would remain on the top and all the new emails will be listed below it.
- Just as pin option, you have other options to flag your email by clicking on the Flag sign on the top right corner of the email. Likewise, you can also ‘Mark as read’ or even delete the email.
- There are filters available to sort your emails based on their status. You can see the option “Filter” on the top right side of your inbox. There is a small drop down arrow that lists options like Unread, To me, Flagged, Mentions, Attachments, and Sort by. You can choose relevant parameters to filter the emails. The “Sort By” option allows you to sort the emails based on their date, size, and address.
- You can transfer unwanted promotional and marketing emails to Junk folder by right clicking on the email and choosing the option “Mark as Junk”.
- If you delete any email, it will be there in your Deleted Items folder. You can click on the folder and find the deleted email in that. You can restore the email by right clicking on it and choosing the Restore option. This would transfer the email back to its original folder.
How to create a new folder in your Hotmail account?
You may receive different types of emails in your Hotmail Account and there are various ways to organize them. Apart from the default folders like Archive, you have an option to create your own folder for storing and organizing emails. Follow the steps to create a new folder:
- Log into your Hotmail account.
- Find the option “New Folder” from the list of folders on the left side of the inbox.
- Click on the option “New folder” and you will get a text box to enter a name for your new folder. Type in the name and hit on the enter button. Now you have created the new folder. Click on it and you will get a blank page in the center. Now you can move emails to this folder.
Steps to move emails to a new folder
- Open your inbox and right click on the email that needs to be moved to your newly created folder.
- You will get a menu that lists several options. From the menu, choose the option “Move”. This would open another list of options. You may find the new folder you have created in this list.
- If you are not able to see the name of your new folder in this list, go to the option “All folders”. When you click over it, it will open a list of folders. From this choose the new folder you have created. This will move the email from the inbox to your new folder.
How to send an email from your Hotmail account?
- Log into your Hotmail Account.
- On the top menu find the option “New Message”. Click on the option and you will get a new window adjacent to the inbox.
- In the “To” section, enter the email address of the recipient.
- Next, enter the Subject of your email.
- Now you can start typing the content of your email. Compose your email and click on the “Send” button at the bottom to send the email.