A Hotmail account has many useful features that allow you to save your vital messages and send emails to multiple acquaintances.
Signing into your Hotmail account
If you have a Hotmail account, you can sign in using a few simple steps that are described below:
- Open your web browser and type “hotmail.com” in the address bar. This would open a page addressed as outlook.live.com. Since Hotmail was merged with Microsoft Outlook, you will be getting this page for accessing your Hotmail account.
- At the center of the page, you have an option “Sign In”. Click on this button.
- This would open a new page with a small “Sign in” window. You will be able to see a blank field with text “Email, phone or Skype”. You have to enter your email address in this field. Note that while entering your email address, you need not enter the domain part- hotmail.com.
- Click on the button “Next” to proceed further. If you have entered your email address correctly, you will be getting a new page for entering a password.
- Enter your password and click on the option “Sign In” to successfully log into your account. Before clicking on “Sign In”, you can activate the option “keep me signed in” so that your browser can remember the password and allow you to open the mail without signing in.
How to sign out from your Hotmail account?
Follow the steps to log out from your Hotmail account.
- Sign into your account, if you have not logged in already.
- On the top right corner, of your account, you will be able to see your avatar or profile picture. Click on it and you will get a drop down list.
- Find the option “Sign out” and select it. Within a few seconds, you will be signed out.
- If you are unable to sign out, restart your browser and follow the steps again.
How to sign up a new Hotmail account?
Sometimes you may find an additional Hotmail account to be quite useful. Many users keep a separate account for their personal use. Creating a Hotmail account is quite simple. Follow the steps to get this done easily:
- Open your web browser and enter hotmail.com in the address bar.
- You will get a page that has an option “create a free account” Click on it.
- You will get a “Create account” window with a field for entering your new email. Enter your email address. To the right side of the field, you can see an option @outlook.com. To change the domain to Hotmail, click on the small drop down arrow. This would open a small menu wherein you can see hotmail.com as an option. Click on it. Now select “Next” to proceed.
- If the email address you have entered already exists you will be asked to enter a different one or to choose from the email addresses suggested by Outlook. Select accordingly and click “Next”.
- In the next window, you will be asked to enter your password. Provide a strong password to make a secured account. You can activate the option of getting promotional emails from Microsoft if you wish to get regular updates. Click on “Next” to proceed.
- Next, you have to enter your first name and last name. Further, you will be asked to enter your country and date of birth.
- In the next stage, you will be asked to furnish your phone number. Enter your 10 digit number and you will get a verification code as SMS. Enter the code in the field provided. Click on “Next” to finish the sign-up process. Now you have created a new Hotmail account and you will be able to see your account interface with inbox in the middle.
How to send an email from Hotmail account?
After signing into your account, you can start using it for sending and receiving emails from others. Steps to compose and send emails from your Hotmail account are explained below:
- Log into your Hotmail account using your email address and password.
- Once you login you will be able to see your inbox. On the topmost menu bar, you can see the option “New” along with a plus symbol. Click on it and you will be getting a window to compose your email.
- On the top, just below your email ID and username, there will be a field for mentioning the email address of the receiver. Type in the complete email address.
- Below that, you have a field for entering the Subject of the email. Enter a suitable title for the content of your mail. The receiver will be able to see the subject line in his inbox before opening the mail.
- Below that you will be having a text box for adding the message. You can enter your full message and make changes using the toolbar meant for editing the text. You can apply features like “Bold” or change the Font color.
- You can also insert files like photos using the option “Insert” on the menu bar on the top.
- After writing the whole content of your email, click on the button “Send” on the top menu bar. Within a few seconds your mail will be sent to the given address. If there is any issue with the email format or address, you will get a notification regarding the same.
How to draft a message in Hotmail?
Hotmail is a safe place to draft lengthy and confidential messages or reports. You can use your drafts anytime for reference or send them to others whenever needed. Mentioned below are the steps to draft a message in Hotmail.
- Log into your Hotmail account.
- Check the menu bar of your Hotmail interface and you will see the option “New” with a plus symbol. Click on it and you will get a window with options to compose a new email or message.
- The window will display your email address and username on the top. Below that, you have a field for entering the address of the recipient of the message. You can leave this field blank if you do not wish to send the message to anyone for the time being.
- Next, you can add a Subject to your message. You can enter a suitable heading or leave this field blank.
- Next, you have a text field for entering your message. You can draft your entire message here and edit it using the text editing tools.
- You can also insert files by clicking the option “attach” on the menu bar.
- To save your draft you have to click on the option “Save Draft” on the menu bar of your Hotmail account. You can continue editing your draft or close the window after saving the draft.
Steps to access your drafted message
- Open your Hotmail account.
- Check out the folders listed on the left side of your account interface. From the list find the folder “Drafts”. Click on it to open the folder.
- You may see multiple drafted messages and for each one, you will be able to see the subject line. Identify the message you need to access and click on it to open.
- If you are not able to find the message you are looking for in the drafts folder, you can use the search option to find the message. On the top left corner you can see a search bar. Enter the subject of the message or the email ID or name of the recipient you have mentioned in the message to find the draft you are looking for. Based on your search word, you will get one or more results. Find the draft you need from the search result.
- After opening the draft, you will get an option above the message window to continue composing the content. Click on it to edit your draft.
- Next, you will be able to see an option “Send” on the top menu bar. Click on it to send the draft. Your mail will be sent if you have entered a valid email ID of the recipient while creating the draft.
- This completes the procedure of accessing, editing, and sending your drafts in Hotmail.