If you have a Hotmail ID you need to log into your account to access the features and services provided by Hotmail (Presently known as Microsoft Outlook).
How to log into your Hotmail account?
Follow the steps given below to log into your Hotmail account:
- Open your web browser and enter “hotmail.com” in the address bar.
- You will be landing on a page addressed as “Outlook.live.com”. From here you can log into your hotmail account. In the middle of the page, you can see an option “Sign In”. Click on this option to proceed.
- You will get a new window with a “Sign In” field that asks for email, phone, or Skype. Enter your email ID (the domain part is not needed). After entering the accurate email address, click on the option “Next”.
- You will get a window for entering a password. In the field provided, enter your password carefully. Now click on the option “Sign In” to log into your account.
- If you have provided a proper password you will be able to successfully log into your Hotmail account.
How to check Hotmail login history?
Microsoft’s Hotmail is one of the most popular emailing services that offer a user-friendly design and interface. To enhance its user experience it constantly provides security updates that allow the users to protect their account in different ways. One such feature is the ability to check the login history. Follow the steps explained below to demonstrate this advanced feature:
- Open your web browser and visit the page ‘hotmail.com’.
- Click on the “Sign In” option and enter your email address and password.
- Once you have signed in successfully, you will be able to see the inbox. On the top right corner of the page, you will be able to see your username. Click on it and you will be getting a list of options. From that, choose the option “account Settings”.
- This will open a new page that offers vital information about your Microsoft account. On the left side of the page, you will be having a list of options. From the list find the option “Recent Activity”. Click on the option to proceed.
- Now you will be getting an option to choose whether you sign in frequently from the device. You can choose this option if you are using your personal computer or phone to check the login history.
- However, if you are using a shared computer, you should not enable this option. Alternatively, you will have an option to receive a security code to your backup email ID or phone number for the account. You can enter the code to proceed further. However, if you do not wish to undergo this verification procedure you have an option to skip the step by clicking on the button “Next” followed by “set it up later”.
- Now you will be able to view your login history with details like date, number of successful logins, and time of each login. It would also show significant account activities, like password changes made. Note that login history can only be read and cannot be edited or deleted.
This feature is truly useful if you have a habit of logging into your Hotmail account from public computers or office desktops that are accessible to others as well.
How to remain logged into your Hotmail account?
If you are having Hotmail as your official email account, you may need to access it frequently. Although entering an email address and password is an important security measure, it can be quite tiresome to enter them every time you need to check your inbox. There is an easy way out to resolve this issue. You can remain logged into your Hotmail account by enabling one of the login features. Here is how you can get this done:
- From your web browser open the page ‘hotmail.com’.
- Click on the Sign In” button and enter your email address in the “Sign In” window.
- Click on the option “Next” to proceed to the next window. Enter your password in the field provided. Below the password field, you can see an option “Keep me signed in”. You will be able to see a small checkbox next to the option. Click on the box to enable it. This would keep you signed in even when you close your browser. Click on the button “Sign In”. This will open your account interface.
- Now close the browsing window by clicking on the “cross” sign on the top right corner.
- Reopen your browser to test the result of the setting you have made. In the address bar, enter hotmail.com. This would automatically load your Hotmail account. Thus, you can directly open your inbox without logging in.
Note that this feature should be activated if you are working on your personal computer or phone. This is because anyone who opens the browser can access your hotmail account. This feature remains active until you log out of your account from the same browser. You can also remove the cookies as an additional security measure.
Common Hotmail login issues
When you are trying to log into your Hotmail account, you may encounter different types of issues. If you are unable to locate the problem, here are a few hints that may help you out.
- Firstly, if you are not able to access your email account, you should ensure that the domain server is working fine. The same is applicable to your Hotmail account. If you are unable to login despite entering proper username and password, there is a high chance that it may be due to some temporary server issue. So you need to check the service status of Microsoft Outlook. You can do this by trying to open any other Microsoft account like Skype. You can inquire with other users who have Hotmail accounts. If they are facing the same issue, then all you can do is wait for some time and it will resolve automatically. There are online forums and social networking sites that report such glitches.
- While entering your password for logging into your account, you should check if the Caps Lock is turned on. Note that, passwords are case sensitive and may not work if the Caps lock key is turned on. Turn it off and try again.
- One of the most common problems that users often encounter while trying to access their account from new computers or devices is that they get the email address wrong. This happens mostly with users who make use of “Keep me signed in” option. Whenever they need to sign in using a fresh browser they tend to misspell their email address inadvertently. So crosscheck this area before you proceed with advanced measures.
- If you are logging in after a long gap, your account may not open. Microsoft Outlook has kept a limit of 365 days within which, if no logins are attempted, then the account is deleted. Users cannot recover their account after it is deleted even if they have all the requisite account details.
- Next, try turning off the option of “Keep me signed in”. If you have activated this option while trying to login, try again by turning it off. In some browsers, the option of automatic login may create such temporary issues.
- If none of the above issues exist, then you should try to reset your password. But before you do that, think about the last time you have changed your password. Many users forget their newly changed password and try to log in using their old password. So rule out this scenario before you click on the option “Forgot password”.
- If you are not able to recollect your password, click on the option “Forgot password” and follow the instructions provided by Microsoft to unlock your account. If you have provided a phone number, your account recovery process will be quite smooth.
- If you haven’t registered your phone number while creating your account, you can still reset your password by providing accurate answers to all the questions put forth by Microsoft during the process.