Hotmail is a free emailing service from Microsoft that offers maximum security to its users in addition to many useful account features. Since 2013, Hotmail was converted to Outlook. However, you can still create a Hotmail account and enjoy the services offered by Microsoft Outlook.
How to create a Hotmail account?
Creating a Hotmail account involves several steps. Follow the instructions to sign up for a new Hotmail account:
- Open any web browser on your computer, tablet, or mobile device. Now enter Outlook.com or Hotmail.com in the address bar. Both addresses will take you to the same page.
- The page you get will display two options. First one is “Create a free account”. Select this button to create a new Hotmail account.
- Now you can see a window that provides a blank field for entering your new email address. Type in your email address and select hotmail.com from the dropdown list on the right side of the field. If your email address is not acceptable you will be asked to try a different one. You will also get options to choose from email addresses that are similar to the ones you have mentioned. Click on “Next” after your email address is ready.
- In the next window, you have to enter a password. After entering a password you can enable the option of getting promotional emails from Microsoft. If you do not wish to get any emails regarding new updates and services, then keep the corresponding checkbox unchecked. Under this option, you get a link to check the terms and conditions of Microsoft. Click on “Next” to proceed further.
- In the next step, you have to enter your first name and last name. This name would appear in your emails so enter your real name.
- Next, you have to choose your country from the list given and also provide your date of birth.
- Now you will see a window that asks you to enter a text captcha. You also have the option to switch to audio captcha by clicking on the button “Audio”. Once you are done, click on the button “Next”.
- In certain cases, instead of captcha, you will be asked to enter your phone number. You will get a verification code as an SMS to the number you provide. You have to enter the code to complete the verification process.
- Next, you get to see a welcome window. Click on the arrow to the right side and choose the time zone and language. Again, click on the arrow to select a colorful theme.
- Finally, you get the option to add a signature to your emails. This is the final step in the process of creating a new Hotmail account. You can create a customized signature in the text box provided. After you are done, click on the arrow to the right and you can start using your new Hotmail account.
How to add a profile picture to your Hotmail account?
After creating a Hotmail account you have many options to personalize your profile. Adding a profile picture is the basic step towards customizing your new account. Here is how you can get this done:
- Log into your Hotmail account.
- On the top right corner of your account interface, you will be able to see a small round icon with the initials of your first name and last name. Click on it and you will get a “My account” window with few options.
- Choose the option “Edit Profile”. This would open a new page with your profile details. On the left side, you will be having an option to “add a picture”. Click on this option. The new page that opens will again show a button called “Add a picture”. Click on it and you will get a file browser to choose an image file from your computer.
- Find the image you want to set as your profile picture and click on the option “Open”. The image will appear in your profile icon.
How to change the layout and theme of your Hotmail account?
You can adjust the appearance of your Hotmail account to suit your personal preference. There are various parameters that can be adjusted to bring the desired impact. Follow the steps to update the theme, background, and layout of your new Hotmail account:
- Sign into your Hotmail account using your email address and password.
- Your email account opens to display your inbox in the center with folders to the left side and reading pane on the right. On the top panel to the right side, you will be able to see a few icons. The second one in this row is your settings button. Click on it.
- This would open a Quick settings panel with a search box on the top. Below that you can see a collection of colorful themes. Click on one of the themes to apply it to the background of your Hotmail account. Below the list, you have a “View All” button. Click on it to see all the themes available.
- Below that, you have an option called “Dark mode” with a toggle button. Enable the option to replace all the white areas with a combination of greys. Dark mode is more comfortable when it comes to reading for long hours.
- Next, you have options to change the arrangement of your emails. You have options to view your latest messages on the top or at the bottom.
- Below that, you have settings for customizing the layout of the reading pane. You change the position of your reading pane to the bottom of the inbox or hide it.
- Next, you have an option to enable or disable the Focused Inbox feature. The feature allows you to sort messages into Focused (more important) and “Other” category.
- You also have an option to group messages by date. This allows you to manage your emails more efficiently.
- At the bottom of the quick settings panel, you have an option “View all Outlook Settings”. Click on this option to view a complete list of Layout parameters that you can edit and customize in different ways. This includes features like automatic replies, email syncing, and creating rules for email handling.
How to create a customized auto signature for your Hotmail account?
Hotmail provides you with several options to optimize your email format. The option of creating a customized signature is one such feature that allows you to compose a personalized signature that automatically appears on all the emails you sent.
Steps to create an auto signature
- Sign into your Hotmail account.
- Click on the settings icon from the top right corner of your screen.
- Scroll down to the end of the settings panel and select the option “View all Outlook Settings”. This would open a Layout window.
- You will be able to see a list of options mentioned in the Layout column. The first one in the list is “Compose and Reply”. Click on this option.
- Now you can see a text box for creating an Email Signature. Inside the text box, you can compose your personalized signature. You can add details like complete name, address, company name, logo, phone numbers, alternate contact details etc.
- There is also an option to insert hyperlinks. You can find the option in the text toolbar displayed on the top of the text box.
- Below the text box, you have 2 options with checkboxes to select. If you want the auto signature to appear only in newly composed messages, then you can enable the first option. And if you want the signature in all the emails you sent including replies and forwarded emails, then enable the second option. You can enable or disable these 2 options as per your requirement.
- After creating your auto signature format, click on the option “Save” from the top right corner. Now you can try sending an email to test the results of your settings.
- You can make changes or edit your customized signature anytime by opening the Layout settings. Follow the same steps to save your changes.